‘Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.’
Leonardo da Vinci
What a way to complete your morning. A truly satisfying, post-practice, retreat breakfast favourite. The smokey paprika takes this dish to the next level.
We’ve encountered shakshuka a lot in the Indian and Eastern menus to cater for the many Israeli tourists. It’s not always smokey and sometimes it’s spiced with a lot more chilli. Find what works for you. Go for good quality smoked paprika and keep it as fresh as you can. Old smoked paprika from the back of the cupboard just won’t do. Go fresh and taste the difference.
We have found the most amazing smoked paprika in the world in Ibiza. If you sign up for our Ibiza retreats, we’ll treat you to a tin. It’s to-die-for.
You will need
A deep frying pan/iron, preferably with a metal handle as we’ll be finishing the shakshuka under the grill.
3 tbsp olive oil
2 x large red peppers sliced
2 x cloves garlic chopped fine
1 x birds eye chilli chopped fine
800g chopped ripe tomatoes
fresh cracked black pepper
2 x heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
4 x eggs
Fresh, chopped coriander leaves
freshly squeezed lemon juice
Sourdough bread or cous cous
1. Heat the oil and fry the peppers for a good 10-15 minutes in a deep frying pan/iron.
2. Once softened and with colour, add the garlic and chilli and fry for a further 60 seconds whilst stirring.
3. Add the tomatoes.
4. Season the tomato sauce with salt to taste.
5. Add the smoked paprika.
6. Once the sauce has thickened, make wells for the eggs and crack them in.
7. Continue cooking on the hob until the eggs are half cooked.
8. Crack black pepper all over the top and finish under the grill.
9. Garnish with coriander and lashings of freshly squeezed lemon juice to serve.
We absolutely love this dish.